Saturday, March 26, 2016

Let's Hear It For the 25th of March 2016

Hello! I don't have a project to show off this week, but I do have a little more to say about the theater this week and a concept I'm looking forwards to trying my hand at with some new materials a friend offered up. More on that later, though.

Things have been moving steadily towards the new productions, at the theater- at least, towards the one I've been more involved with. I don't know how it went, but opening night was this Friday- hopefully, it went well. Because of that performance, this week's been tech week, when all the last details are hurriedly hammered out before audiences arrive. I helped paint more of the set, doing touch-up work more than anything, and also painted a few props. In doing so, I've gotten to learn a few cool techniques that actually could come in handy for a few special effects, so it was pretty interesting to learn. I also helped get more props for the show which turned out to be more complicated than one would think- ash trays in particular are surprisingly hard to find.

While I interned during the week, I also got to watch most of a run-through of the show, Glengary Glen Ross. It's a satire on salesmanship with an interesting plot and an honestly impressive amount of swearing, and getting to see it was nice.

On to my new idea. I mentioned back at the start of this that I wanted to create a steampunk effect, but the biggest problem with that was in what I had- or rather, what I lacked. Without gears and the like, it would have been difficult to create. Recently, though, a friend offered up a broken laptop for me to dismantle for pieces for a similar concept: cyberpunk. I've got all the parts I could need for it and more, so I've been beginning to consider some possibilities.I'll still need to do some concept research, but I'm pretty excited about trying it out, and taking apart a laptop has been more than a little fun too.

I did also do one little concept sketch for something a little less 3D than I normally do, inspired by the painting I'd been doing at the theater for a set meant to look like a Chinese restaurant. It's a little messy, but I'll post a picture- it's meant to be something of a dragon look. I doubt I'll take it further than this, but it's still an interesting possibility, with the right materials.


That's all for this week! Talk again next week, and I'll hopefully have more to show then!

5 comments:

  1. I love that you are finding inspiration for your special effects in different ways! Could you explain a bit more what cyberpunk or steampunk is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you seem to be making progress. Also, just a thought, if you are having problems finding props, i feel you aren't using amazon to its full potential. Jokes aside, hope you are able to do the effect you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you get to enjoy the profane-filled theater while working haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it true that steampunk came about during the 1980's? What are the theories behind the style?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you were able to find more things to do at the theater this week. The dragon effect looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete